Sunday, April 29, 2012

Braille Messages on Cards

Hi everyone,

Today I thought I would share with you all why I offer, free of charge, personalised Braille messages on the cards that I make.

I am in the process of loosing my sight in my left eye. This is due to two things. Firstly, I have glaucoma in my left eye, which could also affect my right eye in the future, and has resulted in my loosing some of my sight from my central field of vision, and secondly, I have also had a retinal haemorrhage in that eye, resulting in patchy sight loss, so it is possible that I will become registered as partially sighted in the future.

After some deliberation, I decided to learn Braille, a 'just in case' scenario, a kind of 'fail safe mechanism' if you like. As a sighted person, I was surprised how easy it was to learn how to punch Braille, but imagine trying to learn it once you have lost your sight - wow - can't imagine. It was then that I decided to offer Braille messages on my cards. I do it free of charge for three main reasons. The first reason is, there but for the grace of God go I; secondly, I don't charge for the written sentiments, so why charge for someone's disablement; and thirdly, many people know others who are blind, but have no way of sending them a greeting that they can read for themselves. Can you imagine having to rely on somebody to read your messages just because it isn't in a form that you can read for yourself? No, neither can I, and this is why I do it.

I have done several commissions doing Braille messages, these have included Birthday Cards, and Sympathy Cards. I have also added Braille messages to the cards that I offer from stock.









This is my Braille Writer and Punch. Braille is worked through cells of six dots in each cell. From this each letter is formed. You can buy larger Braille machines that resemble typewriters. I have decided that if I loose my sight totally, that is what I will have to have. This Braille Writer works really well for me though, and has allowed me to offer the Braille message service.

Well that's all for now!

Enjoy your day!

Louise

L

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring, you are a brave woman to look at what the future potentially holds so positively, I definitely feel there will be a market for what you make, keep it up, good luck x

    ReplyDelete