Thursday, April 5, 2012

THE RESTORATION OF AN ANTIQUE ROSARY

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a fellow artisan regarding the restoration of a rosary which was 100 years plus in age. As it was not the type of work that she did, she asked if I would consider doing it. After seeing the photos that the client had sent by email, I agreed.

The rosary had severe water damage. All the links that joined the decades together, and the wires that went through each bead, had practically fallen apart, and some beads were beyond use. So after discussions with the client, it was decided that I would be sent another rosary of equal age so that I could use some of the beads from that to repair the main rosary. Both rosaries had been a gift from her mother-in-law, and had great sentimental value. This value cannot hold a price, as to the owner it is priceless. So it was up to me to restore the rosary, and maintain the essence of the original so that the sentimental value was not compromised.

I carefully cleaned each individual bad, and then polished them. The beads were of a brown agate, and polished really well. The Crucifix, once cleaned, revealed the most wonderful brass Corpus Christi set onto a beautiful brown agate cross which had once held in its back, a vial of Holy Water from Lourdes. The Centre was also in brass, and was a depiction of Our Lady of Lourdes, and was astounding once cleaned. As there were broken beads, it was decided that the Our Father beads would be exchanged for the beautiful translucent white beads from the other aged rosary. All the metal parts, the findings, were replaced with antiqued copper wire, which kept the rosary looking aged, even though it had been sensitively cleaned.

My client was truly pleased with the result, and this is her review, which is printed with her permission, along with the photo of the cleaned rosary. Personal details have been omitted.

“Good morning Louise,

The rosary has arrived, […] I am delighted with the rosary, I think the copper wire really enhances it, and the beads look much better with a hundred years of hard use cleaned off. I am very pleased with the effect of the white translucent beads as well. They are not too obtrusive, but enhance the colour and delicacy of the brown beads. The essence of my mother-in-law’s rosary has been retained, […] it has been rendered fit for another 100 years’ use.

All the best, and many thanks for taking on the rosary restoration, “[…].

Although it was really delicate work, it was a project that I really enjoyed doing, and my client’s satisfaction was evident.

Well, that’s all for now.



Enjoy your day!

Louise








No comments:

Post a Comment