Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Joy of Parchment Crafting

Hi everyone!

Although I make Rosaries, I also make cards that I sell on my website. I love card crafting of all kinds, just love it. I love the gluing the cutting out, the embossing, the hand painting, and everything that goes to making cards. Especially, I like all different types of texture.

I have enjoyed parchment crafting for about 2 years now, I love the results, the change in the parchment after doing white work, the lacey look with the cut work. The effects are just stunning. I have also printed pictures onto parchment paper, and then done white work on certain parts of the picture to great effect.

For example, I made a Confirmation Card which has an angel with beautiful wings. I have done the white work on the wings making them look 3D, and completed the rest of the card with white work and cut out work, and has been backed with silver Mirri card. See below.


This card of Mary praying, has also been printed onto parchment paper. There is a lot of white work, and cut out work giving a really delicate appearance to the card. The picture of Mary has some white work on it with the halo outlined in gold ink. This was then placed onto a beautiful piece of cotton lace work over a rainbow print. See below.

This Christening Card has been finished with many different textures. I love textures. The card has a topper of purple flowery print, topped with linen textured Mirri card, topped with pale purple flowery print, topped with parchment. This parchment has been cut with Spellbinders Labels 1, and then had a designed worked onto that, and then hand painted on the reverse with water colour pencil. This is then topped with a white Bible topper which has been made with handmade paper which has a lovely texture to it. See below.

This Christening card is one of my favourites because it looks like embroidered satin where it is all parchment work. The parchment was shaped on the Glitter Girls Tall Stories board, and then worked from a stencil, hand painted with blue metallic ink. White work and cut work done around the edges making it look like frilly lace, and again topped with a white Bible, which has been finished in white handmade paper which has a lovely texture. See below.

 


Finally, I would like to share with you, this First Holy Communion Card. It is silver Mirri card topped with lilac paper, and topped with the parchment work. It has a border of white work dots, followed by a border of cut cross work filled in with white work dots, and finally the sentiment. This was traced through using my light box and tracing with a white lead pencil. The finish is quite highly embossed, and makes this 'simple' card look very special. See below.



Parchment crafting is very rewarding. When I first started I made many mistakes, for example, pressing too hard and tearing the paper. Not completing the white work properly, being too impatient to see the results. My cutting-out work, (really tiny cross holes) which is done with specially curved and finely pointed scissors was random to say the least. I gradually worked more methodically, taking my time with the scissors, and my results improved, and then I enjoyed it more. I collected the tools that I needed, rather than trying to do it all with just a couple of tools. Got my mats for pricking work, white work etc., and then my results began to improve. The more you do the better your work becomes, but I think there is no end to the learning; that's part of the joy of parchment crafting.

That's all for now folks.

Enjoy your day!

Louise.

No comments:

Post a Comment